What is SEO
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is an organic method of increasing a website’s visibility in search engines by selecting the best and the most suitable keywords related to the website and then submitting them to various search engines. It is a process of creating, formatting and promoting web pages and websites in such a way that ensures that they are ranked highly for selected keywords and phrases when a user performs a web search. The websites with the higher page ranks are generally more likely to receive a greater number of visitors from the search engines than those with lower page ranks. As a most popular internet marketing strategy, SEO analyses the working of different search engines, and finds out what exact search terms people are most likely to use when searching for a particular thing on the internet.
Optimizing your Website
In order to implement SEO in your website, you need to do a little research on what people generally search for and how they actually write their queries in search engines. There are tons of online tools that can help you with this, the most popular being Google Adwords Keyword Tool, which helps you choose related keywords to the ones that you put there. After you have selected the right keywords and phrases, you need to use these keywords in your site’s content, its code and its meta tags. This process is called optimization. Additionally, you may also highlight the keywords and phrases by stylizing them differently than the rest of the content or by using them in headings and titles.
The most popular search engines on the web are Google, Bing, Yahoo Search, AOL Search, and Ask. Generally search engines’ algorithms are kept strictly hidden, however, you may easily find out some of the factors that influence their rankings. Algorithms of different search engines can vary extensively from each other, so a website that ranks number 1 in one search engine may rank number 100 in another one. However, one of the common factors that influences the rankings the most, is, yeah you guessed it right, the content. So be sure your content is always up to date, grammatically and factually correct, and of course, keyword rich.
You can submit your website to any or all of the search engines mentioned above to be listed; however, you don’t have to. A simple backlink from a reputable website will get the search engines to visit yours. Getting listed can take time, usually from a few hours to a few weeks, so be patient.
- Create a Sitemap of your Website: Adding a site map to your website makes it a lot easier for the web bots to search your site.
- Use Keywords: Use keywords and phrases in your website that describe your content and your site. Try to embed the keywords in the titles, headings, metadata, links, the image and video tags. Be careful while using keywords though, irrelevant, misplaced, and too-often used keywords leave a bad taste in the mouth.
- Make your URLs Search Friendly: A good idea is to include your basic keywords in your URLs so that the engines pick it up faster.
- Content is the King: Keep your content fresh and updated, as well as of relevance to your visitors. An article about food and cuisine, no matter how well written, will not do well in a website for science and technology.
- Add Image and Video Descriptions: The web bots can only search text for keywords, and not the text in your images or videos. So it is always a good idea to associate some text descriptions with your images and videos.
- Swap Links: Exchanging links with other webmasters can be great for your website. Add links to other relevant sites in your website, and ask those sites to link to yours.