So you want to create your own website but don’t know where to start. No problem! You have come to just the right place! This article will tell you all you need to know to create your own website in five easy steps. So, hold on to your seats, and dive right in!
Step 1: Register a Domain Name
Registering a domain name for your website is the first thing you need to do in order to create a website. A domain name is nothing but the address of your website, and is sometimes also called a URL (www.exampledomain.com). Select a suitable domain name for your website and have it registered from a reliable domain registration company. Remember to keep the following points in mind when choosing the domain name:
1. Make the domain name short and easy to remember. Remember that people tend to avoid the websites with long, difficult names unless the content is very, very good.
2. Make it relevant to your website content. This can help increase your website’s ranking in search engines such as Google, Yahoo, and Bing.
3. Make the domain name creative, unique and catchy. Make it something that is easy to remember for a long time.
Step 2: Get a Web Server/Web Host
After you have selected and registered your domain name with a company, your next step is to select a company that would host your website. A web host stores your website on one of its many servers, and then transmits it to the internet so it can be accessed by users all over the world. The domain name and web hosting is usually provided by the same company, but you can get them separately if you wish. There are many resources on the web that offer you free domain name and/or hosting. These are good for newbies who are exploring the world of internet through their small personal websites. However, if you plan on making a website on a larger scale or for a company, it would be better if you paid for the domain name and hosting.
Step 3: Design your Website
This is the most fun step of all. It is also the most important of all. Your website has to be designed in such a way that it is appealing to the eye, relevant to your content, and easy to navigate. As I told you before, it is the best part of creating a website. You get to show off your great designing skills to the world at the same time as promoting your website.
You can design your website using either an HTML editor like Dreamweaver or use one of the many free website templates available on the internet to create your website. You can also design a website in the popular designing tool Photoshop. Also, if you don’t want to do it yourself, although I would recommend you do, you can hire somebody else to do the job for you, but its always better to do it yourself if you’re on a tight budget or if want to give it a more personal touch.
Step 4: Put in the Content
At this step your website is almost ready; you just need to put in the content. You may have heard the quote: ‘Content is the King’, and actually it is. Content is the most important part of a website. Some things to remember regarding your content:
1. Use a language and tone that is respective to the age and type of your target audience.
2. The content should be informative and interesting. Remember that only a small percentage of people actually read complete articles on the internet. So make your articles eye catching and easy to read.
3. Try to keep the material original. Do not just copy-paste from other resources.
3. Check your spellings and grammar before publishing anything to the web. These things really matter.
4. Keywords are very important for your website, but not as important as the quality of your content. Do not ruin your content by using too many keywords.
5. Keep your articles short and simple. 300-600 words are quite enough for most articles.
6. Use subtitles and bullets wherever possible. Make your articles “scannable”.
7. Use a clear font type that is easy to read and understand. Avoid using italics.
8. Insert graphics where you can, but not too many. The main focus should be your article.
9. Remember the fact that quality is more important than quantity.
Step 5: Publish your Website
All you need to do now is to put your website on the internet for everybody to see using the web host. Upload your complete website including all multimedia content to the root directory of your web hosting server space, and your website is ready!
Good Luck with your website :)